The Climate Change Division was established in March 2010 to lead efforts in response to the challenges of climate change faced by the country. Through its work, the Division aspires to enhance the country’s resilience to climate change.
The Division is responsible for the development, coordination and implementation of climate change adaptation and mitigation policies, programmes and initiatives. In addition to the above, the Division also follows regional and international climate negotiations and ensures compliance with international commitments taken by Mauritius under the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change and the Kyoto Protocol.
Some of the notable works undertaken by the Division include:
· The development of a National Climate Change Adaptation Policy Framework for the Republic of Mauritius;
· A Technology Needs Assessment identifying and prioritizing relevant technologies for adaptation to and mitigation of climate change impacts;
· Carrying out Greenhouse gas emission inventories;
· Setting up of a Climate Change Information Centre; and
· Promotion of research, capacity building and awareness raising.
The Climate Change Division is embarkingon the preparation of the 3rd National Communication and is also formulating a Low Carbon Development Strategy and Nationally Appropriate Mitigation Actions (NAMAs) for Mauritius.
Climate Change Division
Tel: 203 6200 (Ext: 337)